Monday, July 9, 2007

37 Years, Less Than 100 Movies

Greg mentioned the new AFI list of the top 100 movies of the past 100 years, and just to show why I'm a contributor, here are the films on the new list that I've not seen.

1. Citizen Kane - OK, I've seen half of it. The second PBS station in Boston aired it one night, I tuned in, and was asleep about halfway through. Which was too bad, as I did like it quite a bit. I hope they show it again soon so I can find out what Kane meant when he said "Rosebud."

4. Raging Bull - Whenever this comes on I feel like I should watch it... and then I find something else. I'll get around to it.

6. Gone With the Wind - frankly, my dears, I don't give a crap. I've never felt particularly compelled to see this. Carol Burnett in the dress that stil had the curtain rod in it was more than enough for me.

7. Lawrence of Arabia - this is something I do need to correct.

9. Vertigo - this made a 52 place jump from the original list. How does that happen in 10 years? I can say the same for number 11, City Lights (up 65 spots) and number 12 The Searchers (up 84 places). As I've not seen any of them, I'll blame their initial low ranking. Thanks a lot, AFI!

16. Sunset Boulevard - like Kane, it's a movie I've seen part of. Just never gone back to watch the whole thing.

18. The General - I'm not sure I've seen any silent film all the way through. Damn talkies!

19. On the Waterfront - not sure why I've not seen this, but I think having witnessed latter-day Brando, I've been a little skittish to watch his earlier stuff. I know this isn't just a black and white version of The Island of Dr. Moreau, but it's a hurdle I still have to clear.

22. Some Like it Hot - no reason, just haven't.

23. The Grapes of Wrath - for whatever reason, I was in the one English class in 9th grade that didn't read this. I assume they also saw the movie. So I'm blaming Manchester Jr-Sr High School for this one.

Considering I've seen roughly half of the top quarter of list, I'm switching to just numbers now. I have also not seen: 26, 27, 29, 35, 37, 38, 41-49, 51-53, 55, 58-61, 63-65, 67, 73, 74, 77, 78-82, 84, 85, 87, 88, 90, 91, 93, 95, 97, 98, 100.

Looking at what I've not seen, I'm clearly deficient in the Marx Brothers and Hitchcock (it looks like I've mostly seen his non-listed films, oddly enough).

I'm a little confused at some of the additions to the list. For example, which popular phenomenon will seem the most ridiculous in a decade, the overwrought emotions of Titanic or M. Night Shyamalan's one hit wonder The Sixth Sense? Or do we go with the first of the Lord of the Rings movies, which I enjoyed but don't quite see as the 50th best film of all time.

And there are a good half-dozen films that were dropped from the original list that are better than Sophie's Choice, and probably more considering how many of the dropped films I've not seen.

I am happy to see that the new list recognizes that The Shawshank Redemption was the best film of 1994, but am still vexed that Forrest Gump is on the list at all.

It's clearer now than ever why Greg asked me to participate in this, isn't it?

3 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

yeah, but you can tell us all about Down Periscope.

July 10, 2007 at 2:15 PM  
Blogger WestBerkeleyFlats said...

Someone should organize some sort of laborious voting exercise along the lines of Swiss pairs.

July 11, 2007 at 9:22 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Ah, Down Periscope. If Kelsey Grammer and Rob Schneider have ever made a better comedy, I've not seen it.

A reminder, kids, to think twice before letting friends pick between a movie you know will suck and one that will at least be entertaining (in this case Rumble in the Bronx; I think had we known about the hovercraft there would have been no need for a vote).

July 19, 2007 at 8:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home