Friday, January 5, 2024

+1 Godzilla Minus One

 I did not grow up a fan of Godzilla. I would occasionally watch parts of the regionally syndicated Creature Double Feature, which would run two movies on Saturday afternoons, usually a mix of traditional horror/monster movies and Toho's kaiju films. I was more exposed to kaiju thanks to Mystery Science Theater 3000 (from which we learned that Gamera is full of turtle meat and that one of the greatest threats to Japan's postwar stability was traffic accidents). I also saw the 1998 Godzilla film starring Matthew Broderick, which was garbage.

So, of course, I have a son who loves Godzilla.

This is why, on our family vacation a couple of summers ago, we wound up at the Pickwick Theater in Park Ridge, Illinois, watching both the original Godzilla and Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster. I liked the original more than I expected, and found the second movie just goofy enough to make up for what it otherwise lacked in plot and acting. My son, of course, was in his element, enjoying both films and even engaging in discussions with other attendees (which normally would not be in his comfort zone).

I had my return date with the monster over the holidays, when the two of us took in Godzilla Minus One. It's not exactly a reboot (as far as I can tell), but does give a fresh spin on the origin story. As with the original, Godzilla is angered/mutated by atomic weapon testing in the Pacific, and decides to take it out on Tokyo.  When the government can't stop the monster, a plucky team made up mostly of war veterans and scientists come up with their own plan to do so.

The central character in all of this is a failed kamikaze pilot, who got a sneak preview of Godzilla's power when it attacked the remote airbase he flew to rather than ram an American ship. His shame, and the sadness brought on by the deaths of his parents, makes it difficult to fit in when he returns to Tokyo, but he finds purpose again when he takes in a young woman who is living on the streets with a baby (all three orphans). He then gets a job taking out naval mines with a small crew who becomes a kind of surrogate family.

I found those plot lines to be surprisingly endearing. Who knew there'd be successful romantic subplot in a monster movie? 

I also liked the nod to past movies, like the use of music from the original film. I also got a strong Jaws vibe from the scenes involving the mine clearing boat.

My only complaint about the film is that it needs 10 to 15 percent more Godzilla. Not sure where, exactly, but I would have liked just a little more.

Anyway, if you're even somewhat into Godzilla or monster movies, it's very much worth checking this out.  The screening I went to was in Japanese with English subtitles, don't know if there's a dubbed version out there or not. Seems like that would be more in tune with how most of us first experienced kaiju movies.

We had six previews before the movie. Two I'd already seen: Argylle (which my son said should be the next movie we see in the theater) and The Beekeeper. The four new previews:

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes - I'm even less familiar with these movies than Godzilla movies, but it looks like the apes are trying to find human technology, I assume for nefarious purposes. There's also what looks like a feral human involved.

Imaginary - where a girl's imaginary friend turns out to be real- and murderous. Thankfully, my son does not seem interested in seeing this.

Perfect Days- a Wim Wenders film set in Japan, inspired by a project where world-famous architects designed public toilets. The main character (surprise) cleans toilets for a living, and maintains a simple lifestyle that's upended when his niece arrives unexpectedly. It's a very different film tonally from the others that were previewed, but it's the one I'd be most interested in seeing.

I.S.S. - the Russians and Americans staffing the International Space Station square off for control when war breaks out on Earth. Maybe a little on the nose given current conditions. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home