Wednesday, December 3, 2008

What I Watched on My Autumn Vacation: 1 of 6

(recapping the slew of movies watched in Braintree the past week. There are 6, not counting our first tastes of Mythbusters and Bridezillas. We'll see if I actually finish this.)

Airport - I had probably seen 80% of this as a kid, as it was on all the damn time, I could never stay awake for a full screening. And now I know why! While it established the star-studded disaster genre, it's so slow to get going. Helen Hayes was several kinds of fab as the stowaway granny. It's too bad she followed it up with crap TV and live-action Disney.

I'm sure its frequent broadcasts in my youth had to do with it being shot at MSP. Mom says it was being shot when her dad died, and big chunks of the airport were closed off when my aunts flew in for the funeral.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kirsti said...

It was great seeing Airport and Airport 1975 because I finally understood the originals that Airplane! was making fun of . . . the singing nun, the face slapping, the sick kid, and so on.

December 5, 2008 at 3:26 PM  
Blogger WestBerkeleyFlats said...

I actually liked "Airport" when I finally saw it. Dean Martin really steals the show from Burt Lancaster.

January 9, 2009 at 1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home