Monday, January 18, 2010

Movie Log 2010: #3

The Lion In Winter - I suppose it's more of a commentary on our times than on the material, but it was refreshing to see a film that didn't feel the need to set up EVERYTHING for the viewer. The Lion In Winter presupposes some knowledge of British history, drops you in, and when it was over, had me running to the Intarwebs to brush up on Things I Could Have Learned by Playing More Academic Quizbowl. I bought Katharine Hepburn about half the time, which is a very good average for me. That said, the film suffers from Filmed Play Disorder. One scene in particular had the main characters all standing in a line squabbling and not moving. While watching such a non-cinematic, yet well-written, movie, I was thinking I'd love to see a production of The Lion In Winter performed by the adult cast of Arrested Development. Jeffrey Tambor and Jessica Harper as Henry and Eleanor, determining the lineage between Tony Hale (John), Will Arnett (Richard) and Jason Bateman (Geoffrey). Special appearance by Ben Stiller (in Tony Wonder persona) as Phillip. I think it'd be a license to print money.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home